“We not only were looking for a modern-day CMMS that could meet the needs of our Clinical Engineering department today and into the future, but also a CMMS company that would be a strategic partner. That is why we chose Nuvolo.”
– Dan Ritter, Director of Clinical Engineering & Capital Sourcing at SCL Health
If your hospital system is adding thousands of medical devices, merging with other hospitals, or building new facilities – you might want to consider upgrading your CMMS to Nuvolo.
Our powerful CMMS was built in collaboration with veteran healthcare management specialists and specifically designed to support Healthcare Technology Management (HTM) teams. We continually improve our platform with help from our colleagues at the hospital systems we partner with.
This blog walks you through why healthcare systems select Nuvolo, a typical implementation process, and the exceptional results you can expect. Throughout this blog is anecdotal information and advice that comes directly from our customers.
Why Upgrade and Why Nuvolo?
There are common reasons hospitals choose Nuvolo. Often, once evaluation teams see our product demo, their checklist expands. They realize they have greater flexibility and possibilities with Nuvolo.
Here are some of the top reasons HTM teams choose us:
HTM, Facilities, and Medical Device security all on one platform that can expand into other hospital support teams like IT, Real Estate, Maintenance, Supply Chain, Pharmacy, Clinical Care, and more.
A Cyber-Security solution that leverages the national vulnerability databases to identify at-risk medical devices and interfaces with all the major IoT security and medical device monitoring applications on the market to further protect those devices.
Nuvolo’s connected analytics provides better business decisions. Hospital support staff sharing the same platform, updating work, and asset information on the same database creates powerful business intelligence.
Working with a trusted partner, we support many healthcare organizations, including some of the country’s largest. Our mission is to help deliver better patient care by consistently improving our platform to ensure all hospital facilities and medical devices are safe, compliant, and operational.
- Enterprise asset management of medical devices
- Easy to use – our Self-Service portal is impressive
- Provides enhanced security tracking and management
- Intuitive and automated workflow management
- A modern and easy to use mobile application
- Reliable data for Joint Commission and DNV compliance reporting
The Implementation – How we get it right
We recommend assembling a team of anywhere from 5 – 25 people, depending on your hospital’s size or the scope of the implementation.
Having unit and section heads, operations staff, and leadership involved is essential. And make sure your technicians are part of the process; they know what works and what doesn’t. Consider inviting colleagues from your supply chain, human resources, and location services departments. Invite anyone that could benefit from the new system.
If you’re worried about managing a process with too many people, don’t. We use the Agile implementation methodology and rely on smaller sprint sessions for product implementations.
How the Sprints Work and Some Implementation Guidelines
Our implementations are broken down into sprint sessions for each solution or core functionality. For instance, if you’re starting with implementing our Maintenance and Space solutions, you could have separate sprint sessions for, Assets, Work Orders, Contracts, Mobile App, Floor Plans, etc.
If you have a team of 5 people, maybe everyone is part of each session. If you have a team of 25, you can divide people by their expertise and assign them to the appropriate sprint.
Sprints are broken down into a pre-determined time frame, typically four weeks. Weeks 1-3 are used to gather business requirements for the function or solution.
Requirements are built around real work scenarios and step-by-step discussions of what the function does and solves.
Nuvolo implementation experts provide best practice guidelines through every step. Our implementation team guides you through the design of your workflows.
Here are some excellent implementation guideline suggestions from our clients:
- Use workflows and business rules whenever possible; the Nuvolo team can help you automate a lot of work.
- Configurations, such as adding a business rule, need to be carefully considered. For those, you can rely on the guidance from the Nuvolo team to understand the dependencies and scope.
- Understand configuration vs. customization. Configuration, such as renaming a field, is not customization; you don’t need to be concerned about making those changes.
In week 4, Nuvolo provides a demo of the sprint requirements. You begin testing the system to ensure they are correct and work as expected. This is very time consuming, so be prepared.
When a problem is found or the requirement needs to be refined, Nuvolo re-develops the demo, the system is retested, and the process repeats until you’re satisfied.
We understand the importance of implementing a platform that works with your current workflows and processes, and getting it right is our top priority.
The results depend on your implementation criteria. However, there are significant results that everyone realizes; assuming you’ve implemented our Maintenance and OT Cyber Security solutions, you can expect:
- Accurate Medical Equipment Management
- Protected Medical Devices
- Smarter Planned Maintenance
- Superior Corrective Work Order Management
- Exceptional Business Intelligence
- Joint Commission or DNV compliance reporting
Here are some measurable results our customers shared with us:
- The team gets real-time insights, certifies equipment performance data, and can pinpoint maintenance issues faster and more efficiently.
- Nuvolo supports Joint Commission and DNV compliance audits, specifically around attestation. Before Nuvolo, the attestation process was managed on spreadsheets, and now by using OT Cyber Security for the Connected Workplace, it’s fully automated.
- The Nuvolo solution allows HTM managers to track the planned maintenance history for each high-risk and non-high-risk device, yielding reports that not only assure compliance but enable smart decision-making that reduces risk.
- When a new piece of equipment is received, inventoried, and deployed by the service engineering team, its planned maintenance work orders are automatically generated.
- Everyone that touches a piece of test equipment from the moment it’s deployed to the day it’s decommissioned is recorded in Nuvolo as the single, authoritative system of record.
- The estimated average audit time decreased from about a week to a day since deploying Nuvolo.
- We defend expenses and change in staff better, gain a higher efficiency level, and pull-down reports in seconds.